EVG in Germany

Saturday, June 24, 2006

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"I had a bad experience at this game. Did we lose?" -- Ari Lev, 7:15 PM, June 22nd, 2006, approx. 80 minutes after the U.S. got bounced from the World Cup.

Ari, needless to say, should not drink on an empty stomach.

First and foremost, that was NEVER a penalty. The U.S. team maybe didn't deserve to advance, but it would've been nice to see what the second half would've looked like if not for that call.

I got to my seat at the stadium and a guy, Eric, that works at VH1 was sitting two rows in front of me. Gotta love the small world thing.

Ari, Ilan and Brandon headed back to the U.S. today. Orly and I are in Berlin and may head to Prague in a few days.

There are lots more GREAT quotes from the two weeks we spent driving around in a Mitsubishi Grandis and causing general nervousness among both the passengers in our car, motorists and pedestrians. I'll share more soon... but this has to be shared now... before the Ghana game this guy, a D.C. United fan, shared with us two things:

1. The previous night he'd had a bad experience with a döner kebap. He said: "I've traveled to more than 80 countries for work, and I've NEVER had a meat problem like this." He really said meat problem.

2. He also was, generally, a very nice guy... he just didn't know how to write a good song. Proof? This ditty he taught us on match day: "Michael Essien has a really nice haircut... because his mother is a whore... but he's gonna score a goal."

You really need to hear the tune to totally get how funny it is. But the total lack of logic is right there in the quote. We talked about it for awhile Friday and we still haven't been able to figure it out.

Until next time... keep your hair shaggy, or send your mom to Germany to be an underworked hooker...
TheEVG


4 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Mehdi said...

Hmm, sounds like that guy also writes songs for the NY Red Bulls.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Mary Varn said...

I don't usually follow soccer, but I've really enjoyed catching the cup games this year when I can. When you get back we have to have a serious discussion about the reasoning behind the offside rule. And while we're at it, you can also explain how stoppage time works.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger TheEVG said...

On the night of the first game of the tournament, before I left Berlin to meet up with the other Americans, I actually explained the offside rule to a German girl using salt and pepper shakers and a bottle of tabasco. I will endeavor to do the same for you in August.

 
At 3:30 AM, Anonymous Teabag said...

bad luck guys but now is the time to get rid of the old guard and bring in some young blood

 

Post a Comment

<< Home