EVG in Germany

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

WELCOME TO THE NEW AND LESS IMPROVED EVGBLOG

You take the good with the bad, at least that's the way the saying goes.

Good: We got to Gelsenkirchen on Monday morning, hung out in the city center in the bright sunshine, and had beers, sang songs and basically had a blast with about a thousand U.S. fans or more.

Bad: The U.S. got absolutely stuffed by the Czechs and our good friend Rosicky (which the Czech fans and stadium announcer pronounce Roh-sid-ski).

Worse: We returned to our shitbag hotel about midnight and I found that my laptop computer, cell phone and digital camera power cord had been stolen. Oh yeah, and one match ticket for both the US-Italy game on Saturday and US-Ghana next week.

That was a bit of insult to injury, but all things considered it could be much worse. This is the way I'm cheering myself up, in no particular order:


  • I had my passport with me at the time.
  • I have my camera with me and never deleted any pictures off the memory card, so I still have all of them from this trip.
  • Knowing this could happen, I backed up all my photos and music and the majority of my documents before I left for Europe.
  • I filed a police report, have renter's insurance and barring a deductible of about $500, they should help pay for me to replace the phone and computer.
  • Since I've now reported the phone stolen, Verizon has suspended my service for 30 days, so I'll actually save about $50 on that bill.
  • On the FIFA site, they say "no one will be penalized for lost tickets" so there's a good chance we'll be able to get the tickets replaced when we get back to Germany.
  • The German police that left the police report for us were SUPER nice and even left a note on our car windshield that said: "Have a nice trip!"

Other than that... there's been lots of funny stuff happening, we're having a great time (really), and it's been fun. I had just written a lot more here that I think lightened the mood a bit, but it's just mysteriously disappeared off the screen. Oh well.

Until next internet cafe...

TheEVG

7 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Mehdi said...

Dude that sucks, but good to see that you aren't completely devestaded over this. The show must go on and you got a couple of more games to see.

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous TJ said...

Sorry buddy. I feel like I jinxed you with the schadenfreude comment.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger wewontheleagueat3ptlane said...

Hope you're enjoying the trip despite the loss of a few pesonal items, mate. Good thing you used your head and backed everything up BEFORE embarking across the pond! Rosicky's going to earn me $20!;) COME ON IN-GER-LAND!!!!

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Danny said...

hahahaha. stop copying me.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Em said...

DUDE - that blows, but you have typical newly quit-my-job-and-could-give-a-f*ck-Aaron attitude about it - so kudos to you. Miss your face bubba. xoxo

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger TheEVG said...

Yeah, like I said... it's not the end of the world. But thanks for looking out everyone... the biggest bummer, of course, is that i could have left the computer in Berlin for these two weeks. Oh well.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Mary Varn said...

Lame! But you have a great attitude about it, so not so lame!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home