EVG in Germany

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

ANOTHER DAY, A FINAL DÖNER

As a co-creator of the now world-famous San Loco run (a two-borough affair nowadays), I have always felt a certain duty to come up with new and exciting gastric endeavors. With that in mind, I offer you -- and the world at large -- my latest concept: dönerism, or tourism by döner.

I came up with the idea of dönerism yesterday on my final day in Berlin. After a shockingly long trip to a Citibank to try to scrounge up some cash, I found myself a bit hungry. Since I was completely on the other side of Berlin, I could go just about anywhere for a bite to eat and it would be on my way home. That's when I decided to return to the place that started it all.

Back in January 2001 when I visited Berlin with my brother and a college friend, the döner was nothing more than a twinkle in my eye. In fact, I'd never even heard of the thing. Thanks to about six trips in seven days to the Bodrum on Schönleinstrasse, life would never be the same.

Three train lines and two transfers later and I was chowing down on a massive lamb (?) sandwich with all the fixins.

Afterwards I remembered that there was a sweet vinyl store around the corner, so I tried to find it again. Alas, like most great record stores all over the world, it's dead and gone by now. I did happen upon a Turkish CD/bookstore though, and understood when the guy said "German books are in the back." Alas, I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't speak any of the languages in any of his books.

But it got me thinking... wouldn't it be nice if there was a Web site where you could find the best döner shops in any particular town (all döner is not created equal, which is odd, since Jesus surely had something to do with its creation)? You'd also be able to find out what's cool nearby, which in turn, would give you Dönerism: Tourism by döner.

Anyway, that was my last thought before leaving Berlin. I flew to Mallorca this morning, went and saw the Schloss they have here and then headed to the beach, where as I was told to mention, there were many many beautiful boobies on display. I am ashamed to say I took a couple pictures.

Until next time... karma says I'm never never getting laid again...
Aaron

6 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is a doner? as a parent I think that you not getting laid again should noy be mentioned in this blog. code name your DAD

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous TJ said...

Having met your dad, I'm shocked that you would risk offending him. Shame on you.

Don't forget to bring the boobie pictures home to him on your next visit.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger TheEVG said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger TheEVG said...

You can think of the doner a hopped-up gyro.

And, OF COURSE, I'll show him the pics, TJ! Gotta make the old man proud.

(In a related story; I was thisclose to bagging off with a German girl in Mallorca last night, but I blew it. Then again, she was complaining of a 'knee burn' she had, so might've been better this way. 'Knee burn' doesn't really make you feel safe about what you're doing.)

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger TheEVG said...

(PS I have a very active imagination.)

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous code name DAD said...

8X10 glosses would be fine code name DAD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home